Monday, June 16, 2008

Race Report

I finished the Half marathon and I am alive to report about it. It was not the race I hoped for but its the farthest I have ever ran and I am happy with myself. We got up to Bear Lake the night before and got checked in to the room. I went and picked up my packet, that was a fun experience. There I was standing around with all these runners. I felt a little out of place..I dont feel like a runner although I was glad I was there. I got my number..239. We waited for Joe to get there and then we went to get some pasta and pizza. I ate some spaghetti and it was kinda ghetto. We then went home and hung out until it was time to go to bed. Joe and I slept on the pull out bed..crappy bed. Then I frozed the whole night so I only slept about 3 hours. I got up and my stomach was a little unsettled. I still went about my usual routine and ate my breakfast and got ready. My Dad took me to the park. I waited with Lacee and Amber until the busses left. We got to the start and there were no bathrooms, WHAT?? I had to go! My stomach was really unsettled but I ignored it and we started the race. We kept up with the crowd for a bit then fell a bit behind. Around mile 2 or 3 my stomach started to get really gurgly and sick. I had to wait in line at the porta potty and then we were very far behind the others. This was the beggining of a long race. I got really sick and had major issues with my stomach. Luckily my family was waiting for me later on and I took another imodium (I had already taken one that morning) I couldnt run. Every time I would start running my stomach would get so sick. I was very discouraged. I wanted to be able to run. I had trained at least 10 miles to prepare and just couldnt do it. Around the 10th mile my stomach was a little better and we were able to run more. We still finished really late. I was so glad I didnt quit. I would of had it not been for Amber and Lacee. They were so sweet to stay with me. I couldnt have done it without them!! This race helped me learn a lot. I am now trying to figure out what the issues I am having with my stomach are. If they continue to bother me through my long runs I wont be able to do the marathon. Just phyisically cant do it. Just dont know what my deal is and how to fix it. It was a fun race and I finished which was great. I am now in the decision process whether or not to continue my training to a marathon or stick to aerobics (a little less hard on my stomach) Thanks for a great race Bear Lake.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congrats on finishing the half! I'm so impressed that you stuck it out to the end. The bathroom thing was a joke!!! I bet they got plenty of complaints about that. I looked for you. I hoped to see you. I hope you can figure out the stomach stuff. I struggle with that too, but I always just chock it up to nerves! My stomach doesn't deal well with the nerves. I wish I had done immodium. Anyway, congrats! Look how far you've come in just a few short weeks! I'm excited for you and hope you can keep on going!