Sunday, May 4, 2008

I was runnin!

I did my long run a day early this week due to the fact that we had Izaiah's 1st birthday party on Sat. I ran Jordan River Parkway cause it was close and I needed to be back to my house by 9:30. I like that run. I feel safe running alone cause I have people around me. Anyways, I had some new equipment to run with this week and it really made my run better. I bought a new fuel belt that I love!! I love having water right there whenever I need or want it. I thought it would bother me a little while running but it was so comfy. I also tried eating more for breakfast. I have a hard time eating really early in the morning, so I pretty much gagged down wheat bread, peanut butter and a banana. It was a little much all as a sandwich but it really stayed with me through the run. I also tried GU while I was running. I had never had it before so it was interesting to say the least. The first second I squished the GU into my mouth I gagged so bad. The texture brought back memories of when I drank castor oil to induce labor (I would not recommend it) It was awful. I swallowed it and chugged some water to wash it down. EEWWW it still makes me cringe thinking of it. But I finished it and continued to run. My big toe and shins had been hurting me earlier in the week but I was surprised that they didn't bother me during the run. I set a goal for myself and I finished at my goal so I felt really good after my run. I cant wait to find out this next week if I get picked to run St. George. Cant wait. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

I know how you feel about the gels, they're all pretty nasty! Have you considered trying a sports drink instead? It gets absorbed quicker and will do just as good of a job. Unless you're doing a workout over 90 minutes, the gels probably won't do you much good. The meal you eat before hand (peanut butter on toast) should last you at least one hour and then the sports drink would be good to keep you going. Just an idea, I'm no expert, but I don't like the gels either. Here's a website on hydration needs during exercise if you're interested. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/ProperHydration.htm